VDSS Division of Benefit Programs - Frequently Asked Questions about SNAP Online Shopping
Online Shopping – SNAP FAQs:
1. What is SNAP online shopping?
The 2014 Farm Bill mandated a pilot be conducted to test the feasibility and implications of allowing retail food stores to accept SNAP benefits through online transactions. It was designed for SNAP households to have the accessibility to purchase groceries using their SNAP benefits online. SNAP benefits used online cannot be used to pay for fees of any type, such as delivery, service, or convenience fees.
2. Is using my SNAP EBT card online secure?
The use of your EBT card online will still require your unique personal identification number (PIN) to be entered for all online purchases. The online shopping and payment is required to be secure, private, easy to use, and provide similar support to that found for SNAP transactions in a retail store.
Amazon’s Online Shopping – SNAP FAQs:
1. How do I sign up to use my SNAP EBT card on Amazon.com?
To use SNAP benefits on Amazon.com, please visit Amazon.com/SNAP and follow the instructions on the screen. If you are not already an Amazon customer, you will be required to create an Amazon account.
2. How do I know which items are eligible for purchase when using my SNAP benefits online?
SNAP-eligible food items have a special label “SNAP EBT eligible.” This label appears after a SNAP participant adds their SNAP EBT card to their Amazon account. Only items shipped and sold by Amazon.com, including Amazon Pantry and Amazon Fresh are eligible for purchasing with SNAP benefits.
USDA requires all SNAP authorized retailers, including authorized online retailers, to ensure SNAP benefits are used to purchase eligible food items. A list of eligible food items that can be purchased using SNAP benefits is available at: www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items
3. What form of payment is accepted to make purchases online using SNAP benefits? Are EBT cards accepted?
You may use your SNAP EBT card to complete purchases of eligible food items. On Amazon.com, you will need to register your EBT card with an existing account or create a new Amazon account. To learn more about using an EBT card and about making SNAP purchases on Amazon by visiting www.Amazon.com/SNAP and follow theon-screen instructions.
If an order contains non-SNAP eligible food items, you will be required to pay with another form of payment such as a credit or debit card, an Amazon gift card, or another acceptable form of payment. Below are the minimum purchase amounts to qualify for free shipping/delivery for Amazon Grocery, Amazon Fresh and Amazon Pantry.
Amazon Grocery -$35 minimum (For non-Prime customers)
Amazon Fresh -$35 minimum
Amazon Pantry - $25 minimum
4. What are the differences between Amazon Fresh, Amazon Pantry and Amazon Grocery?
You can use your SNAP benefits on Amazon.com groceries, Amazon Pantry, and Amazon Fresh to purchase authorized food items.
Amazon Fresh: Amazon Fresh is similar to your typical grocery store, delivering perishable, shelf-stable, and household products in everyday package sizes. Amazon Fresh is typically available only to Prime members. However, Amazon is making Amazon Fresh selection available to customers who shop with a SNAP EBT card in eligible regions without Prime membership fees. To receive free delivery on Amazon Fresh orders, purchase $35 or more – or place a smaller order and pay a $9.99 shipping fee. Customers can schedule their preferred delivery time within a 1 or 2-hour delivery window, as early as the same day. Please visit About Amazon Fresh Delivery for more information. For more information on Amazon Fresh, visit About Amazon Fresh.
Amazon Pantry: Amazon Pantry features food items and household products in everyday package sizes. To receive free delivery on Amazon Pantry orders, purchase $35 or more – or place a smaller order and pay a $5.99 shipping. Please visit About Amazon Pantry Delivery for more information.
Amazon Grocery: The Grocery and Gourmet Food category on Amazon features shelf-stable food and household items in multi-pack sizes. Prime orders receive free fast Prime shipping on eligible items. Non-Prime orders of $25 or more of eligible items receive FREE shipping in 5-8 business days—or you can place a smaller order or receive faster shipping by paying a shipping fee.
5. Do I need an Amazon Prime membership to use my SNAP EBT card on Amazon?
No. Shopping with a valid Virginia issued SNAP EBT card allows you to access Amazon Fresh without Amazon Prime. Order minimums still apply to Amazon Fresh and Amazon Pantry to receive free shipping.
6. Why do similar Amazon Grocery items have different SNAP eligibility?
According to USDA requirements, Amazon Grocery food items must be sold by Amazon to be eligible for purchase with SNAP EBT funds. Since Amazon allows third parties to sell items in the Amazon store, a product may have multiple offers by multiple sellers. In that case, only the Amazon Grocery offer that is sold by Amazon will be eligible for purchase with SNAP EBT. These offers indicate that they are “Shipped and Sold by Amazon” on the product detail page.
7. Can I purchase eligible food online from Whole Foods Market using my SNAP benefits?
No. However, many Whole Foods products are available through the Amazon Grocery, Amazon Fresh, and Amazon Pantry delivery programs.
8. Can I use SNAP EBT funds to pay for shipping or delivery?
No. USDA requirements prohibit using your SNAP EBT funds to cover shipping or delivery fees. However, it’s possible to earn free shipping by adding enough qualifying items to your order.
9. What if I don’t meet the free shipping minimum? Can I still buy my items?
Yes. You can still buy your items but you will be charged a shipping fee. You will have to use a credit or debit card to pay for any shipping fees.
10. How can I tell if my zip code is eligible for delivery on purchases using my SNAP EBT card?
After you visit www.Amazon.com/SNAP, you will see an orange box that says, “Add your SNAP EBT card.” Once you click on that box, it will take you to the sign-in page for Amazon. If you’re not already registered with Amazon, it will allow you to create an account on that page. During the sign up process, you will have an opportunity to input your SNAP EBT card information and zip code. At that time, you will be notified whether or not your zip code is eligible.
11. Why is my zip code not eligible for delivery using my SNAP EBT card?
Amazon is participating in a government pilot program to accept SNAP EBT benefits online. Government requirements determine which zip codes are eligible for delivery.
12. Can Amazon deliver my online order of groceries to my home?
Amazon currently offers three delivery programs for home delivery of groceries including Amazon Fresh, Amazon Pantry and Amazon.com Grocery. As part of the USDA’s online SNAP initiative, Amazon offers all SNAP customers the following benefits:
Free non-Prime access to Amazon Fresh (where available) with free shipping on orders over $35. A $9.99 delivery fee applies to orders below $35- similar to Prime members. Amazon Fresh is otherwise only available to Prime members.
Free shipping on Amazon Pantry on orders over $35. A $5.99 delivery fee applies to orders below $35- similar to Prime members. Non-Prime members otherwise pay a flat delivery charge of $5.99 on all Amazon Pantry orders.
Free shipping on orders over $25 on regular Amazon.com orders for non-Prime customers. Prime members get free fast shipping on eligible items fulfilled by Amazon with no order minimums.
13. Can I use coupons on my SNAP EBT purchase?
Currently, Amazon does not accept paper coupons. However, Amazon do have their own online coupons that are available for all customers including customers using SNAP. Look for the “Save $X.XX” flags while you are shopping. Please visit their Coupons page for more information at: www.amazon.com/coupons
Walmart’s Online Shopping – SNAPass FAQs:
1. How do I use my SNAP EBT card for online shopping with Walmart?
To use your SNAP benefits on Walmart.com, you will need to register as a Walmart customer if you are not already an online customer. Once you register, you can add your SNAP EBT card to your account by completing the following steps:
To add your EBT card to your account:
Go to your account in the Walmart app or the website
Select Payment methods
If your local store accepts EBT Online, you’ll see an option to add your EBT card to your account.
Add your card information. Then, select Save Card.
To place your order:
Select the EBT card switch on the Select payment method screen.
Enter the EBT food or EBT cash amount you’d like to use.
Select Continue to complete your transaction.
2. Where can I find additional information about Walmart’s online shopping?
This information is located in the help section at:www.walmart.com/help
3. What items can I purchase with my SNAP EBT when purchasing groceries online?
With SNAP EBT, you may buy any item that meets USDA SNAP eligibility guidelines. For a list of qualified items, please visit: www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items
4. How much will it cost me to use Walmart online shopping?
Pickup at Walmart stores is always free.
For Delivery: Delivery option is based upon the following:
- Store has grocery or selling grocery
- Delivery pricing is between $7.95 to $9.95 depending on the time/slots chosen for delivery. Unlimited delivery is also offered for a yearly fee of $98.00 or $12.95 per month: www.grocery.walmart.com/delivery-unlimited/landing
- Some stores offer delivery and pickup options while some are designated as pick up only.
- If a given store offers delivery, the delivery radius is about 9 or 10 miles from the given or chosen store:
- Customers would normally have to select a default store – normally the closest store to their home.
- After a given store is selected and items have been added to their cart, they would have the option to select either delivery or pick up options. This assumes that slots are available (due to COVID-19, slots are filling up quickly. Slots are made available at 12:01 a.m. local time and at certain times during the day).
- New Offering to address the social distancing recommendations due to COVID-19:
- Contactless Delivery – customers will have the option of selecting this option and then they don’t have to sign for the items and have the items selected to be dropped off at their front door.
- Express Delivery – is offered in select locations and guarantees delivery of items in less than two hours. The service will cost $10 on top of the existing delivery charge. Customers will need to select Express Delivery at check out.
5. Do I need to set up a credit/debit card to pay for non-SNAP items to include delivery, before shopping or can this be done when I complete my order?
When paying for delivery fees, you can either use EBT Cash (if allowed) or a credit/debit card which can be added when you pay for your order.
6. How do I get a refund online if I paid using my SNAP EBT card?
If you paid with an EBT card on the website or mobile app, you will need to contact Customer Care by calling 1-800-925-6278 or online atwww.walmart.com/grocery/help.
7. Can I use promo codes when paying with my SNAP EBT online?
Yes. You can use your SNAP EBT card and a promo code when using Walmart Online Grocery. After selecting EBT card option as your payment method, click +Add a promo code to add your promo code, then click continue.
Released by VDSS May 29, 2020 (This information will be updated as additional information becomes available.)
For More Information
Virginia Department of Social Services
Last Reviewed: Saturday, October 29, 2022
Back To List